Steven W. Squyres
Steve Squyres' research focuses on the robotic exploration of planetary surfaces, the history of water on Mars, geophysics and tectonics of icy satellites, tectonics of Venus, planetary gamma-ray and x-ray spectroscopy. Research for which he is best known includes study of the history and distribution of water on Mars and of the possible existence and habitability of a liquid water ocean on Europa.
Prof. Squyres has participated in a number of planetary spaceflight missions. From 1978 to 1981 he was an associate of the Voyager imaging science team, participating in analysis of imaging data from the encounters with Jupiter and Saturn. He was a radar investigator on the Magellan mission to Venus, a member of the Mars Observer gamma-ray spectrometer flight investigation team, and a co-investigator on the Russian Mars '96 mission. Dr. Squyres is currently the scientific Principal Investigator for the Mars Exploration Rover Project. He is also a co-investigator on the Mars Express mission, and on the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter's High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment. He is a member of the Gamma-Ray Spectrometer Flight Investigation Team for the Mars Odyssey mission, and a member of the imaging team for the Cassini mission to Saturn.
Mars Science Laboratory APXS, Mars Science Laboratory SAM, Mars Science Laboratory DAN, Gamma-Ray Spectrometer Investigation for the 2001 Mars Surveyor Mission, Mars Express High Resolution Stereo Camera (HRSC) Investigation, MER: Mars Exploration Rovers, Spirit and Opportunity, Cassini Imaging Science Subsystem, High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) for the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter mission, Gamma-Ray Spectrometer Investigation for the Mars Odyssey Mission, Participation in the HIRISE Mission, Mars Exploration Rovers Spirit and Opportunity, Mars Exploration Rover Pancam Investigation, Mineralogy and Weathering History of the Martian Surface.
- Hillier, J., and S. W. Squyres. "Thermal Stress Tectonics on the Satellites of Saturn and Uranus." J. Geophys. Res. 96, 15665-15674 (1991).
- Squyres, S. W., D. G. Jankowski, G. E. McGill, M. Simons, and S. C. Solomon. "Plains Tectonism on Venus: The Deformation Belts of Lavinia Planitia." J. Geophys. Res. 97, 13579-13600 (1992).
- Squyres, S. W., and L. G. Evans. "Effects of Material Mixing on Planetary Gamma-ray Spectroscopy." J. Geophys. Res. 97, 14701-14715 (1992).
- Jankowski, D. G., and S. W. Squyres. "Softened" Impact Craters on Mars: Implications for Ground Ice and the Structure of the Martian Megaregolith." Icarus 106, 365-379 (1993).
- Squyres, S. W., and J. F. Kasting. "Early Mars: How Warm and How Wet?" Science 265, 744-749 (1994).