You are here
Visiting Scientist, CCAPS
Alberto Fairén is an interdisciplinary planetary scientist and astrobiologist, specializing in geochemistry, mineralogy, hydrogeology, sedimentology and environmental microbiology of extremophiles, with a particular focus on understanding the habitability of early Mars and the search for life on Mars and ocean worlds. His work has been achieved through multi-disciplinary collaboration with researchers from around the world, and is published in 125 papers and 250 communications at international conferences.
- 2019-2024 PI of the ERC Consolidator Grant MarsFirstWater.
- 2014-2019 PI of the ERC Starting Grant icyMARS.
- 2012 recipient of the AAS-DPS Urey Prize.
INVOLVEMENT IN MISSIONS TO MARS:
- NASA: MER-B Opportunity, Athena Science Team Member (2012-2014).
- NASA: MSL Curiosity, Science Team Member on SAM (2012-2014), APXS (2012-2014) and REMS (2014-present).
- NASA: Mars2020, Collaborator on MEDA.
- ESA: ExoMars, Member of the Rover Science Operations Working Group (RSOWG), Science Team Member on PanCam and CLUPI, and Member of the Landing Site Selection Working Group (LSSWG).
- Cornell Center for Astrophysics and Planetary Science
- Losa-Adams, Gil-Lozano, Fairén, et al. (2021). Long lasting habitable periods in Gale crater constrained by glauconitic clays. Nature Astronomy, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41550-021-01397-x.
- Titus et al., including Fairén (2021). A roadmap for planetary caves science and exploration. Nature Astronomy, 5, 524-525.
- Fairén (2020). Organic chemistry on a cool and wet young Mars. Nature Astronomy, 4, 446-447.
- Wierzchos, et al., and Fairén (2020). Crystalline water in gypsum is unavailable for cyanobacteria in laboratory experiments and in natural desert endolithic habitats. PNAS, 117, 27786-27787.
- Bishop, Fairén, et al. (2018). Surface clay formation during short-term warmer and wetter conditions on a largely cold ancient Mars. Nature Astronomy, 2, 206-213.
- Fairén (2017). Icy Mars lakes warmed by methane. Nature Geoscience, 10, 717-718.
- Hurowitz et al., including Fairén (2017). Redox stratification of an ancient lake in Gale crater, Mars. Science, 356, eaah6849.
- Bristow et al., including Fairén (2017). Low Hesperian pCO2 constrained from in situ mineralogical analysis at Gale crater, Mars. PNAS, 114, 2166-2170.
- Stern et al., including Fairén (2015). Evidence for indigenous nitrogen in sedimentary and aeolian deposits from the Curiosity rover investigations at Gale crater, Mars. PNAS, 112, 4245-4250.
- Fairén (2014). The Mars rovers 200 years from now. Science, 343, 24.
- Arvidson et al., including Fairén (2014). Ancient aqueous environments at Endeavour Crater, Mars. Science, 343, 387.
- Ming et al., including Fairén (2014). Volatile and organic compositions of sedimentary rocks in Yellowknife Bay, Gale Crater, Mars. Science, 343, 388.
- Fairén & Schulze-Makuch (2013). The overprotection of Mars. Nature Geoscience, 6, 510-511.
- Fairén et al. (2011). Cold glacial oceans would have inhibited phyllosilicate sedimentation on early Mars. Nature Geoscience, 4, 667-670.
- Fairén et al. (2010). Noachian and more recent phyllosilicates in impact craters on Mars. PNAS, 107, 12095-12100.
- Fairén (2010). Refilling the oceans of early Mars. Nature Geoscience, 3, 452-453.
- Fairén et al. (2009). Stability against freezing of aqueous solutions on early Mars. Nature, 459 (7245), 401-404.
- Fairén et al. (2008). Finding of unusual soil on Mars could stem from tools used. Nature, 456, 870.
- Fairén (2005). What should we call Pluto? Science, 310, 53-54.
- Fairén et al. (2004). Inhibition of carbonate synthesis in acidic oceans on early Mars. Nature, 431, 423-426.