Dong Lai's Research Group
Dong Lai's Homepage .
Our current research interest includes
See our publications
(to be updated once in a while),
or better, look at
our Science paper
our PNAS paper .
- Astrophysics of Exoplanets: dynamics, formation,
protoplanetary disks, star-planet interactions,
interior physics and atmosphere dynamics, etc
- Compact Objects: neutron stars,
black holes, white dwarfs,
gravitational wave sources, radiative transfer, neutrinos
- Astrophysical (particle and fluid) dynamics (including MHD)
in general: celestial mechanics, waves, oscillations,
Selected recent talks: (maybe useful for getting an overview
of our current research)
(UCLA, Harvard 2017)
Misaligned Planets/Stars, Disks and Rings (and Planet Nine)
(CITA, KIAA, Tsinghua, IAS, Nice etc, 2016)
Merging Compact (NS & WD) Binaries (Penn State 2017; Earlier versions:
Chicago-14, Prague-13; SHAO-Anniversary-12, Texas-13, Xiameng-13, USTC-12 etc)
Multi-planet systems with Companions
Magnetic NSs and Polarized X-Rays (IHEP-CAS 2016)
Extreme Exoplanetary Systems (Harvard-ITC, Cornell, UCSC, Berkeley 2015;
earlier version: Columbia-2015, USTC-2015; Chicago 10/2014)
Star-Disk-Binary Interactions and Primordial Spin-Orbit Misalignment
(U-Bern 2/2014; SJTU, SHAO 4/2014; Tsinghua-IAS, Caltech
Physics in Strong Magnetic Fields (Overview talk at ISSI workshop
on Strongest magnetic fields in the universe, Bern, 2/2014)
BH Accretion and Physics of QPOs (Prague Synergy "Compact
Disk Accretion onto Magnetic Stars (Harvard 5/2015; review-Geneva-6/2013;
Astro/Space Plasma, Lijiang-7/2013; SHAO 1/2014)
Tidal Dissipaton in Binaries: From Merging White Dwarfs to Exoplanetary
Systems (Harvard,KIAA,SHAO,Cornell 2013;
earlier version: CITA,IAS,McGill,etc 2012)
Circumbinary Planets and Assembly of Protoplanetary Disks
Astrophysics of Compact Objects (Part I),
(Part II) (Two lectures in "Challenge" Workshop, Sao Paulo)
Exoplanets and Star-Disk Interactions
(Princeton, Turin exoplanet conference,
LANL, Virginia, Northwestern, Rochester, 2010-2011)
Exciting Wave and Modes in BH Accretion Disks and Other Rotating Astrophysical
Flows (UCSB, MPA, Saclay, SHAO, 2010-2011; IAU-2012; NAOC 2013)
Some Older Research Stuff and talks
CURRENT GROUP MEMBERS:
Jean Teyssandier (Ph.D.'14, IAP-Paris) (2017-):
Dynamics, exoplanets, disks, etc.
Bin Liu (Ph.D. '16, USTC) (2017-2018):
Dynamics, exoplanets, black hole binaries etc.
Other Cornell Ph.D. students I have worked with or co-supervised:
Wynn Ho (Ph.D. 2003, Shelley Award):
Neutron stars: GWs and atmospheres.
Hubble Fellow, Stanford/MIT -> Harvard CfA -> Faculty
at Univ. Southampton.
- Matt Van Adelsberg (Ph.D. 2005)
NS atmospheres. Postdoc at
U.Colorado -> KITP; Georgia Tech ->
"Metron" (Scientific Consulting)
- Akiko Shirakawa (Ph.D. 2007):
Magnetic accretion in X-ray binaries;
Nucleosynthesis in young NSs.
- Chen Wang
(Ph.D. 2007 NAOC; co-advisee):
Pulsar kicks, wave propagation in
NS magnetospheres. Research Associate Professor at NAOC (Beijing).
- Zach Medin (Ph.D 2008; Shelley Award):
Matter in strong B fields, NS surface/magnetosphere.
Trottier Fellow at McGill -> Permanent Staff at Los Alamos National Lab.
David Tsang (Ph.D. 2009):
Radiation and Dynamics of BH accretion.
Fairchild Fellow at Caltech; Trottier Fellow at McGill -> Prize
Fellow at Maryland.
Wen Fu (Ph.D. 2012): Wave dynamics of
accretion disks and other rotating astrophysical flows.
Research Scientist at Rice Univ.
Jim Fuller (Ph.D. 2013; NASA Grad Fellow, Shelley Award):
White dwarf binaries, tides, seismology, planets.
DuBridge Fellow, Caltech/KITP -> Assistant Professor at
Natalia Storch (Ph.D. 2015; Shelley Award):
Exoplanets & Compact Objects.
Burke Postdoc Fellow in Theoretical Astro, Caltech.
Bin Liu (Ph.D. 2016 USTC; co-advisee):
Secular Dynamics, exoplanets and compact objects.
Shanghai Astro Observatory.
Ryan Miranda (Ph.D. 2017): Accretion disks around protostars and black holes.
Postdoc at IAS Princeton.
Phil Arras (Ph.D. 1999 with Wasserman):
Neutrino transport in strong B fields. Postddoc at CITA,
KITP. Associate Professor at Univ. Virginia
- Harald Pfeiffer (Ph.D. 2003 with Teukolsky):
Mainly numerical relativity; warped accretion disks.
Fairchild Postdoc Fellow at Caltech. Associate Professor at CITA.
- Francois Foucart (Ph.D. 2011 with Teukolsky):
Warped disks, exoplanets. Postdoc fellow at CITA -> Einstein fellow at
Former Visiting Associates and postdocs:
- Paul Wiggins (A&EP, '99):
Tidal interaction in NS-BH binaries. Ph.D. at Caltech
- Carolyn Sealfon (college scholar, '00):
Matter in strong B-fields. Ph.D. at U. Penn
- Brian Cameron (college scholar, '03):
Core collapse dynamics; matter in strong magnetic fields.
Ph.D. at Caltech.
- Marcus Woo (Physics, '03):
Radiation from neutron stars. Ph.D. at U. Maryland
- David Schwab (Cornell, '04)
- Jared Gabor (Caltech, '05): REU summer student
2004. Ph.D. at U. Arizona
- Brad Austin (Columbia, '06): REU summer student
- Tony Li (A&EP, Cornell, '09):
Ph.D. at Stanford.
- Yuanjian Zheng (Cornell '13, Rawling Presidential Scholar)
- Jeff Gerber: 2013 summer REU student
- Michael Hammer (Cornell '15): Planets in binaries.
Ph.D. at U Arizona. NSF graduate Fellow.
- Grigoriy Tabak (Cornell '16): N-body Dynamics: Ph.D. at U. Rochester
- Liantong Luo (PKU '16: visiting student from Peking University)
- Wenrui Xu ('17): Secular Dynamics, resonances; neutron stars: Ph.D. at Princeton.
Evection resonance ;
Neutron star tides .
Joining our group:
We welcome graduate students (both in astronomy and physics) who are very motivated,
curious and passionate about research.
Students interested in joining our group are encouraged to
contact Dong Lai as early as possible.
- Dr. Alexander Potekhin (Ioffe Institute, St Petersburg);
- Dr. Hang Zhang (Nanjing Normal University);
- Dr. Chen Wang (NAOC, Beijing);
- Dr. Xiangdong Li (Nanjing University);
- Dr. David Tsang (Cornell): Postdoc;
- Dr. Teruaki Enoto (Tokyo);
- Dr. Thierry Foglizzo (Saclay);
- Dr. Cong Yu (CAS, Yunnan): 2011-2012
- Dr. Heloise Meheut (Univ. Bern): 2011
- Dr. Guoqiang Ding (CAS): 2013
- Dr. Jiri Horak (Prague): 2012,2013,2014
- Dr. Yefei Yuan (USTC): 4-5/2015
- Mr. Evgeni Grishin (Visiting Ph.D. student from Technion): 7-8/2016:
Diego Munoz (Harvard Ph.D.'13) (2013-2016): disks, hydrodynamics, exoplanets, etc.
- Short-term visitors (~a week): Dr. Andrew Melatos (U. Melbourne, 2008),
Dr. Wenfei Yu (SHAO, 2012), Dr. Gordon Ogilvie (Cambridge, 2013),
Dr. Feng Yuan (SHAO, 2013)
We gratefully acknowledge NSF, NASA (ATP, exoplanets, Chandra, Fermi programs),
the A.P. Sloan Foundation and the Simons Foundation for
supporting our research over the years.
Dong Lai's Homepage .