Dong Lai's Research Group
Dong Lai's Homepage .
Our current research interest includes
See our publications
(to be updated once in a while),
or better, look at
our Science paper
our PNAS paper .
- Astrophysics of Exoplanets: dynamics, formation,
protoplanetary disks, star-planet interactions,
interior physics and atmosphere dynamics, etc
- Compact Objects: neutron stars,
black hole accretions, white dwarfs,
gravitational wave sources, radiative transfer, neutrinos
- Astrophysical dynamics and fluid dynamics (including MHD)
in general: celestial mechanics, waves, oscillations,
Selected recent talks: (maybe useful for learning about
Extreme Exoplanetary Systems (Harvard-ITC, Cornell, UCSC, Berkeley 2015;
earlier version: Columbia-2015, USTC-2015; Chicago 10/2014)
Star-Disk-Binary Interactions and Primordial Spin-Orbit Misalignment
(U-Bern 2/2014; SJTU, SHAO 4/2014; Tsinghua-IAS, Caltech
Merging Compact (NS & WD) Binaries (Chicago 2014; earlier version:
Prague-2013; SHAO-Anniversary-2012, Texas-2013, Xiameng-2013, USTC-2012)
Physics in Strong Magnetic Fields (Overview talk at ISSI workshop
on Strongest magnetic fields in the universe, Bern, 2/2014)
BH Accretion and Physics of QPOs (Prague Synergy "Compact
Disk Accretion onto Magnetic Stars (Harvard 5/2015; review-Geneva-6/2013;
Astro/space/laboratory plasma conference, Lijiang-7/2013; SHAO 1/2014)
Tidal Dissipaton in Binaries: From Merging White Dwarfs to Exoplanetary
Systems (Harvard ITC, KIAA, SHAO, Cornell, 2013;
earlier version at CITA, IAS, McGill etc, 2012)
Circumbinary Planets and Assembly of Protoplanetary Disks
(Aspen "Exoplanets in the Kepler Era" Conference 2013)
(Electro)Dynamics of Coalescing Neutron Star Binaries (CompStar-12
Conference; IAU symposium-Beijing, etc)
Astrophysics of Compact Objects (Part I),
(Part II) (Two lectures in "Challenge" Workshop, Sao Paulo)
Exoplanets and Star-Disk Interactions
(2010-2011 at Princeton, Turin exoplanet conference,
LANL, Virginia, Northwestern, Rochester, etc)
Exciting Wave and Modes in BH Accretion Disks and Other Rotating Astrophysical
Flows (given in 2010 and 2011 at UCSB, MPA, Saclay, SHAO,
etc; shorter version at IAU-Beijing-2012; NAOC 1/2013)
- Some earlier talks (<2009):
Some older stuff... Here is
an old (2007) statement of reserach etc.
CURRENT GROUP MEMBERS:
Diego Munoz (Harvard Ph.D.'13) (2013-):
disks, hydrodynamics, exoplanets, etc.
Other Cornell Ph.D. students I have worked with or co-supervised:
Wynn Ho (Ph.D. 2003):
Neutron stars: Binaries and GWs, spin dynamics,
atmosphere modeling. Shelly award for graduate research;
Hubble fellow at Stanford, MIT --> Harvard CfA
--> Lecturer (permanent faculty)
at Univ. Southampton, UK.
- Matt Van Adelsberg (Ph.D. 2005)
Radiative transfer, NS thermal emission. Postdoc at
U.Colorado/JILA ==> Research associate at KITP; Georgia Tech ==>
"Metron" (Scientific Consulting Company)
- Akiko Shirakawa (Ph.D. 2007):
Magnetic accretion disks in X-ray binaries;
Nucleosynthesis in young cooling NSs.
- Chen Wang
(Ph.D. 2007 NAOC-Beijing; co-advisee):
Pulsar kick phenomenology, x-ray and radio wave propagation in
NS magnetospheres. Research Associate Professor at NAOC, Beijing.
- Zach Medin (Astronomy; PhD 2008):
Quantum calculations of Matter in strong magnetic fields;
pulsar/Magnetar surface and magnetosphere. Shelly award. Lorne Trottier
postdoc fellow at McGill ==> Permanent scientific
staff at Los Alamos National Lab.
David Tsang (Physics; PhD 2009):
Radiation and Dynamics of BH accretion.
Fairchild Postdoc Fellow at Caltech; Trottier Fellow at McGill ==> Prize
Fellow at Maryland.
Wen Fu (Astronomy; PhD 2012): Wave dynamics of
accretion disks and other rotating astrophysical flows. Research Scientist at
Jim Fuller (Astronomy; NASA Graduate Fellow;
PhD 2013): White dwarf binaries, tides, seismology, planets.
DuBridge Postdoc Fellow, Caltech/KITP ==> Assistant Professor in theoretical astrophysics,
Natalia Storch (Physics; PhD 2015): Exoplanets & Compact Objects.
Shelly Prize. Burke Postdoc Fellow in Theoretical Astro, Caltech.
- Bin Liu (Ph.D. 2016 USTC; co-advisee): Secular Dynamics,
exoplanets and compact objects. Postdoc at Shanghai Astro Observatory.
Phil Arras (Ph.D. 1999 with Wasserman):
Neutrino transport in strong magnetic fields. Postddoc at CITA,
KITP (UCSB); Associate professor at Univ. Virginia
- Harald Pfeiffer (Ph.D. 2003 with Teukolsky):
Mainly worked numerical relativity.
Nonlinear dynamics of warped accretion disks.
Fairchild Postdoc Fellow at Caltech; Assistant prpfessor at
- Francois Foucart (Ph.D. 2011 with Teukolsky):
Warped disks, exoplanets. Postdoc fellow at CITA -> Einstein fellow at
Former Visiting Associates and postdocs:
- Paul Wiggins (A&EP, '99):
Tidal interaction in NS-BH binaries. Ph.D. at Caltech
- Carolyn Sealfon (college scholar, '00):
Matter in strong B-fields. Ph.D. at U. Penn
- Brian Cameron (college scholar, '03):
Core collapse dynamics; matter in strong magnetic fields.
Ph.D. at Caltech.
- Marcus Woo (Physics, '03):
Radiation from neutron stars. Ph.D. at U. Maryland
- David Schwab (Cornell, '04)
- Jared Gabor (Caltech, '05): REU summer student
2004. Ph.D. at U. Arizona
- Brad Austin (Columbia, '06): REU summer student
- Tony Li (A&EP, Cornell, '09):
Ph.D. at Stanford.
- Yuanjian Zheng (Cornell '13, Rawling Presidential Scholar)
- Jeff Gerber: 2013 summer REU student
- Michael Hammer (Cornell '15): Planets in binaries.
Ph.D. at U Arizona. NSF graduate Fellow.
Joining our group:
We welcome graduate students (both in astronomy and physics) who are very motivated,
curious and passionate about research.
Students interested in joining our group are encouraged to
contact Dong Lai as early as possible.
- Dr. Alexander Potekhin (Ioffe Institute, St Petersburg);
- Dr. Hang Zhang (Nanjing Normal University);
- Dr. Chen Wang (NAOC, Beijing);
- Dr. Xiangdong Li (Nanjing University);
- Dr. David Tsang (Cornell): Postdoc;
- Dr. Teruaki Enoto (Tokyo);
- Dr. Thierry Foglizzo (Saclay);
- Dr. Cong Yu (CAS, Yunnan): 2011-2012
- Dr. Heloise Meheut (Univ. Bern): 2011
- Dr. Guoqiang Ding (CAS): 2013
- Dr. Jiri Horak (Prague): 2012,2013,2014
- Dr. Yefei Yuan (USTC): 4-5/2015
- Short-term visitors (~a week): Dr. Andrew Melatos (U. Melbourne, 2008),
Dr. Wenfei Yu (SHAO, 2012), Dr. Gordon Ogilvie (Cambridge, 2013),
Dr. Feng Yuan (SHAO, 2013)
We gratefully acknowledge NSF, NASA (ATP, exoplanets, Chandra, Fermi programs),
the A.P. Sloan Foundation and the Simons Foundation for
supporting our research over the years.
Dong Lai's Homepage .